Monday, May 25, 2009

"How Did it Get So Late So Soon?...

It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?" - Dr. Seuss

I recently got a full time job at a residential treatment center in Mapleton, Utah called Discovery Ranch. It is a home for troubled teens and I work as their mentor. It is a wonderful feeling to come home from work and feel that I may have made a difference in these girls' lives. At the same time, I feel they are touching my life as well.

The other day at work I was talking to one of the girls who is leaving soon. She has progressed through the program and been deemed ready to move on. She said something along the lines of, "I've been here for so long, but now that I am nearing the end I realize there's so much I want to do before I go." Her words resonated deep within me. She was speaking of the ranch but she unknowingly sent my thoughts to ponder this earthly life.

In sacrament on Sunday we heard talks about time management. It is something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately. In Sunday school we had a lesson on the Plan of Salvation. The time we have on this earth is so short. I want to make the most of it; make my life as fulfilling as possible. I don’t want to get to the end wishing I had done things that I never made time for.

2 comments:

  1. I read this yesterday and really needed to hear it. This subject is what I had been thinking about the past few days, so thank you for sharing! That sounds like such a rewarding job.

    PS I thought of you doing your little finger waving dance and I laughed out loud. I reaaally need to see that again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy how we need those reminders more often than we hear them. It's something that is easily forgotten when we get so busy. I'm glad you found a job that you enjoy...I love how everything always works out in the end!

    ReplyDelete