Monday, October 12, 2009

The Lost Art of Letter Writing

I love writing and I also love getting mail (the fun kind, not bills). Although letter writing is no longer necessary, what with facebook, texting, email, cell phones, blogs, :) etc., I love taking advantage of letter writing opportunities when they come my way. There is something satisfying about having to wait to hear from loved ones. In a world where communication is instantaneous, the anticipation that snail mail creates can make correspondence a little more exciting, don’t you think?

So, I am glad that I have an excuse to write many letters. I have 2 friends who are on missions. One is in Portugal and the other is in Thailand. I also have made pen pals out of some of the kids (well, teenagers) I worked with at Discovery Ranch, a residential treatment center in Utah. Having no phone or internet privileges leaves me only one option to stay in touch with them, and that’s fine by me.

Sometimes I wish I lived in Jane Austen's time, when letter writing was more common place. Then again, that's about the only good thing I can think of about that time period, so...nevermind.


Fun Thai envelope from Brianna!

4 comments:

  1. Agreed! I miss the days before the internet and cell phones. When I first moved to Utah in the 8th grade, my friends from Washington would call my land line or write me letters. Not long after is when e-mail was huge and all that stopped. I'm glad I have missionaries to write to and get mail from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting letters in the mail! You could write me and we could be pen pals. I guess that wouldn't work very well since we live in the same house. Memories of past letters received by snail mail, ahh good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this mean you have a romance who you are secretly corresponding with through lucious long love letters?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man I feel like trash, I haven't written Brianna in forever. Will you send me her address again please? Thank you. PS did I ever tell you about the time I wrote a letter to a guy when we had a bit of a nasty dtr??? Oh man.

    ReplyDelete