Monday, February 15, 2010

Anxiously Engaged

As many of you already know, I am officially an engaged woman. How crazy is that? I got engaged on Thursday and it's been one heck of a weekend. :)

Alright, there were a lot of events leading up to the moment when Rex proposed. Where to begin? Well, when I checked my work schedule at Jamba Juice, I noticed I had the 12th through the 15th off. I thought this was odd since my boss has been wanting to promote me for a while, so I wasn't sure why she'd cut my hours like that. I saw that I was supposed to work on Saturday, but she crossed it off and gave my shift away. The next time I worked with her I said, "I was scheduled to close Saturday, but you crossed it off." She said, "Yeah" and walked away. Rude, right? But whatever, I didn't push it.

I told my mom that I suspected Rex might be coming that weekend. I didn't want to ruin any surprises, but I also didn't want to get my hopes up just to be disappointed. So I was just feeling it out. My mom said, "Well, don't be too hard on him if he doesn't come." Despite my intuition, my mom and Rex did a fantastic job of deceiving me. In fact, my entire family and his entire family did very well at keeping it all under wraps.

So, the Sunday before Rex came he told me that the ring had been paid for and would be ready in a couple weeks. He didn't want to tell me exactly when so that he could still keep it a surprise. I was cool with that. It felt good to know the ring was coming and that it was really going to happen. By that point I honestly didn't think I’d be seeing Rex anytime soon.

On Thursday I did my normal thing. I worked at both of my jobs, then came home and had dinner with my family. Rex and I had texted back and forth all day, but I was getting irritated because it was taking him hours to respond to my texts. At one point he said, "It's been a long day." I thought, "Uh, why? You don't even have classes on Thursdays..." I asked him what his deal was and when he said, "Sorry for ignoring you earlier" I said, "Oh, you WERE ignoring me? Well, I'm going to ignore you now. See how you like it." (What a brat, right?) He promised to call and explain everything once he got off work.

That evening, my mom asked my sister, Haley and I to go to the store to get milk. On the way back my mom called my cell phone to see where we were. My response was, "Coming home...why?" She made it sound like she wanted something else at the store, but changed her mind when she found out we'd already left the store. In reality, they just wanted to see how much time they had left.

When we got home, there were carnations on the doorstep. Because Valentine's Day was approaching, I thought maybe the flowers had come earlier and someone in my family set them outside for me to find, or that someone in Rex's family dropped them off. I certainly didn't think he was in town.

I walked into the house, carrying the flowers and the milk we just bought. I turned the corner and there was Rex, on one knee, holding open a box with a ring. I was shocked to see him. My first thought was, "He should be at work right now." I stumbled back a bit. (Which you can see once I post the video my brother recorded while all this was going on. I don’t have it because it's on Rex's camera and I forgot to save it to my computer.)

Rex said, "Molly Katherine Fite, will you marry me?" Of course I said, "Yes!" I couldn't stop giggling because I was so surprised and so happy to see him. Everything was so perfect. Perfect surprise. Perfect ring. And, most importantly, perfect guy! Well, it could've been MORE perfect if I had had a chance to shower and look cute. But Rex didn't mind. :)

The reason why he had been "ignoring" me all day was because of his grand adventure getting to California. I decided it'd be ok to forgive him.

12 comments:

  1. That is an absolutely fantastic story. :D Congratulations to you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Congratulations Molly, sounds like you got yourself a good one! Have fun with all the wedding planning. Oh, and I think you need to post a picture of your ring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Lots of points to your families for pulling it off perfectly so you could be surprised! Way to plan, Rex!

    I am so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that Rex guy sounds incredible! You really found yourself a keeper. I am so happy for the both of you!!! I can't wait to see a picture of your ring!!

    Oh...that's me...and I bought the ring. Right.
    Well hooray for us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see the video! Congratulations again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea! Molly this is Laurel btw. I am so excited for you! When are you getting married? You two are super cute together! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's an even better story than the time I proposed via text message! (Just barely better, but still better.) This story is pure class. Congrats to both of you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!!! That's a really cute story. I'm so happy for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay Molly! I know everyone else is saying it too, but I'm REALLY REALLY happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh it makes me so happy! thanks for sharing this..he is one lucky guy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. SHEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great young man to surprise you like that!!! We are so happy for you two at the Falke house Molly! Thanks for including us in your happy, happy day

    ReplyDelete