Friday, June 4, 2010

"Teacher! Teacher!"

I just finished my first week working at a school/daycare center. I've only been there 3 days and I am already responding to the name "Teacher." Awesome. It's been a pretty chaotic few days, but I'm having fun with the little buggers. Some of my favorite encounters include:

Girl Student: "Teacher, did I wipe my butt ok?"
Me: "Yeah, yeah. I’m sure you did..."

Boy Student: "What's your name?"
Me: "Molly."
Boy Student: "My grandma's dog's name is Molly."
Me: "Greeeat."

Girl Student: "Miss Molly, look at these rollie polies I found!"
Me: "Gross. You should wash your hands."

Me: "What's your name?"
Boy Student: (mumbles/whispers) "I'm a boy."
Me: "What?"
Boy Student: "I'm a boy."
Me: "Huh?!"
Boy Student: "I'm a boy!"
Me: "No, I said 'what's your name?'"
I still don't know his name.

Out on the playground a little boy offered me some "cookies" (a handful of sand). I pretended to eat it. This kid has a mohawk and I can tell he comes from a WT family. After the "cookies" he offered me some "beer." Because that's what adults drink, right? I respectfully declined.

Boy Student: "Miss Molly, look at this!"
Me: "Dang! That's cool!"
Boy Student: *Gasp! "That's a bad word!"

Woops. I hope he doesn't get me fired. I don't want to go back to Jooba Juice.

11 comments:

  1. Oh teacher, teacher, I taught you better language than that. You need to find a better word than Dang to use when talking to the little "buggers". I can think of several that'd work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha whenever my 3rd graders call me "Teacher!", I have 3 different responses: (1) I call back at them "Student! Student!" (2) I just say "What's my name?" (3) I ignore them until they call me Mrs. Wright. We had a big talk at the beginning of the year about how I don't go around calling them "Student #7," so they can call me by my name. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite out of all of these was your response to the butt wiping question. Sounds like you're going to have some great stories coming out of this job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. And your new background. And you. Not all equally, mind you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This all sounds very familiar. I cannot tell you how hard I laughed the first time a little one yelled "you can wipe my butt now" from the potty. Oh life is grand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm stealing WT from you. If I see you drink beer then I will just know you've finally grown up and are an adult.

    PS I love your blog background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is amazing. It sounds like you have lots of fun new friends. The only response I don't agree with is the roly-poly one. Those little bugs are just so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well you have plenty of comments already, but I'll add another one...can't wait for more stories! now comment my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These stories are great! I can just picture your voice in all of the responses too.

    BTW: Molly is a way better person name than a dog name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dad often tried to convince us that dang was a bad word when we were growing up. We were supposed to use darn. It was kind of ridiculous, especially since my mom used it.

    Rolly-pollies are not gross. They are awesome.

    An easy way to separate humans from animals is the ability to reason. Another thing you can go by is last names. I bet Molly the Dog doesn't have a last name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are funny! I love the qoutes... But why? Why would you ever work for a daycare?! Those places are crazy (as you now know)!

    ReplyDelete