A couple years ago I was enjoying some gelato with my good friend Kylie at Maestros on Center St. when in walks David Nibley and his cute little family. You may recognize David from such movies as "The Best Two Years" and "Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration."We were too scared to talk to him, much less take a picture with him, so I just found a picture online to jog your memory. You know who he is, right?
My freshman year at BYU I was walking through the bookstore with my friend and suddenly, there's Kirby Heybourne! He was there for some publicity reason so we didn't feel badly about running up to take a picture with him. I just remember him saying, "Wow, you girls are tall!" Yeah, that, and you're short... :\ (He's definitely on his tip toes in this picture.)P.S. Please overlook my dorky hair and glasses. Thank you.
And finally, my third Mormon celebrity encounter which inspired this post today: Donny Osmond! And this was kinda a big deal since Donny Osmond is not JUST a Mormon celebrity. I mean, he is legit. But, I don't have to tell you that.So, I work at Canyon Crest Elementary School in Provo. The 5th graders at school did projects on a person of their choice. One of the boys chose Donny Osmond. One of the 5th grade teachers taught Donny's son last year, so I guess she pulled some strings and got Donny to come. It was so cool! Here he is taking pictures with the kid who did the project.
I wanted to get a picture with him but he was pretty much surrounded and he left in a hurry.
Have you ever met anyone famous (Mormon or otherwise)?
Nope. I'm not cool enough to see celebrities. But you are! I think seeing the big Donny is a sweet prize for working with tough kids all year. Next time ask him to throw some money around ;)
ReplyDeleteApparently Kirby Heybourne went to my high school. He looks like he is 14 in the picture haha! Look at you and all your celeb encounters! I love that Donny came to your school. I'm not cool enough to have had an encounter yet...I can only dream.
ReplyDeleteOh, I met Kirby at BYU, too. And I got his autograph. It says, "Brittanny, you are worth all the extra letters. Kirby Heybourne. Super cool :) haha
ReplyDeleteSweet nuggets! It's always fun to meet people who've accomplished much in life. :D Awesome for you! I've met Elder Oaks, Jenny Oaks Baker, Daniel Beck, Val Brinkerhoff, Camille Fronk Olson, and Ben Murphy (he's a Vocal Point member. Yeah, I'm counting that.) Oh, I've also met Josh Wright, the concert pianist, and his wife.
ReplyDeleteMeeting already-established people gives you butterflies in your tummy, but I love thinking about the not-yet-established friends I have. So many of you guys are amazing, that it wouldn't surprise me if I saw your name in the news one day. And then I could say, "I've not only met him/her, I was friends with them before the world loved them." :)
Why yes, yes I have seen a few Mormon celebrities. I saw Michael Flynn, the Mission President from the Best Two Years and Pontius Pilot from the Lamb of God, at Costco. Seminary movie legend Rick Macy (who was Joseph Smith Sr. in the the Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration) at Macey's. Then I saw Jeremy Elliott (from Charly and The Testaments) at Old Navy of all places. Then I saw Will Swenson (The Singles Ward) at movie promotion (which I do have a picture of on facebook). Last one I can remember is Susan W. Tanner (Former General Young Women President). I saw her at In-N-Out. Sadly I don't have photographic proof, for all of them though, to back me up. The shock is always there but then I have to remind myself that they're humans too.
ReplyDeleteI had my picture taken with Stacey London from What Not To Wear. It would have been 10 x better if it had been Clinton though...
ReplyDeleteSO very cool! haha and so true about living in Utah, I feel the same way with apostles and such... its just like a celebrity sighting to me :)
ReplyDeleteOne time, at Yellowstone, a squirrel scared me. Does that count?
ReplyDeleteLove your new background! A little random but it reminds me of your shower curtain. And about seeing Donny Osmond, I'm so jealous. I used to address letters to my friend that was going to BYU to: Provo, UT (home of the Osmonds). That was about 12 years before I joined the church and had no clue that I would one day join. Just saw Donny this week on Dancing with the Stars. They had several past winners on the show this week. Love him and Marie.
ReplyDeleteUnlike your talented eye that can spot the celebs, I've only met them if they were pointed out to me. Like the blonde guy from the original Dukes of Hazzard. My mom saw him in Memphis when we were there and pushed my friend and I next to him so she could snap a picture. I had no idea who he was, and you can definitely read that on my face in the picture haha.
ReplyDelete