Sunday, September 25, 2011

Forget-Me-Not

Last night I went to the General Relief Society meeting in Salt Lake with my good friend, Jen Singer. It was an evening full of good conversation and spiritual nourishment. Each talk was wonderful and poignant, but I particularly enjoyed President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's words.

He spoke about how forget-me-nots are beautiful flowers, but they often go overlooked. He encouraged us to not spend all our time searching for elaborate roses at the expense of not noticing all the beautiful forget-me-nots around us. A forget-me-not has 5 petals, so President Uchtdorf gave us 5 things we should never forget.

1 - Never forget to be patient with yourself.
2 - Never forget the difference between a good sacrifice and a foolish sacrifice.
3 - Never forget to be happy now.
4 - Never forget the "why" of the Gospel.
5 - Never forget that the Lord loves you.

I'd like to add a 6th "never forget." 6 - Never forget the revitalizing power of enjoying a yummy dessert with a good friend at Applebee's. :)
(We purposefully got that Indian in our picture.)

5 comments:

  1. How true....all 6 points! Glad you had such a good time last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you two got to go together and enjoy the talks! I really like these points and think the forget-me-nots are a perfect lesson. Maybe one day we'll have a garden and can plant some and teach our kids about them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the broadcast as well! Unfortunately I didn't get Applebee's after! Jealous! We're like 2 hours from the closest Applebee's. Not even kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you mentioned that you meant to get the Indian in your photo - I was worried for a minute that he was being a creeper! ;)

    I loved Pres. Uchtdorf's talk too! He always gives such great counsel with a great spirit of love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE you! I am so glad we got to go to the conference together! Spiritual lessons always seem so much more powerful with good friends to share them with ;-*

    ReplyDelete