Have you ever seen that Brian Regan skit where he talks about commercials that make husbands look stupid? He describes a fake commercial in which there is a woman in the foreground that is saying, "My husband is SO stupid..." and in the background you can see the husband getting stuck in the blinds. I can't for the life of me find a video of the clip, otherwise I would happily share it with you. Take my word for it, it's pretty funny.
Well, it turns out Brian was on to something. Lately I have been noticing some pretty husband-derogatory commercials. Although I don't agree with the concept that all husbands are stupid (mine happens to be a smarty pants), I do think these commercials are hilarious. Enjoy!
Ya...we aren't allowed to make commercials like this about women. It would be considered sexist. But I'm glad to see that marketing professionals have learned how to play off of some women's sense of superiority over their husbands. It's probably earned these companies some customers.
ReplyDeletePS I'm glad you don't think I'm stupid :)
The commercials ARE pretty funny but I don't understand the logic. It doesn't make me want to run out and try their product, it just makes me glad that I wasn't married to an idiot! I'm also glad that you're not married to a stupid man!
ReplyDeleteMy brother Connor has made fun of this for so long, it's his favorite thing and it kills me. You forgot the Yoplait commercials where she talks about how much weight she is losing eating yummy desserts and the husband is tearing apart the fridge trying to find it.
ReplyDeleteI love that Brian Regan skit. I also love the hilarity of these commercials.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I'm a fan of Rex, but I think part of the incompetent husband thing is that the longer they are a husband, the more often they do stupid things. Give him 10 or so years, and he'll get himself stuck in the blinds sooner or later. ;)
This is a funny post. Husbands and wives are just different from each other...doesn't necessarily make the husbands dumber...just "different" (in a Fantastic Mr. Fox kind of way). :)
ReplyDelete