Sunday, March 4, 2012

Man vs. Food Salt Lake

In December 2010, Rex and I did a session at the Salt Lake temple with one of Rex's mission friends, Brian Bench. After the temple, we hit up Crown Burgers for dinner. We knew that Adam Richman, the host of "Man vs. Food," had eaten there on one of his episodes.
(When we were at Crown Burgers I kept thinking, "This place reminds me of Burger Supreme." Later we found out that Burger Supreme, which is right up the road from our apartment in Provo, is owned by the same family as Crown Burgers and has VERY similar food. So, we felt kinda silly for driving all the way to Salt Lake for a burger we could've gotten in Provo, but then again, Adam Richman didn't come to Burger Supreme!)

Last Friday we drove to Salt Lake to give a friend a ride to the Jazz game. We wanted to do something fun there (and fun usually equates to food in my mind), so I looked up Man vs. Food again to see if Adam had been to any more restaurants in Salt Lake. Turns out, he had! And that's how we found the little gem that is Bruge's Waffles and Frites.

This place is tiny! I'm talkin', you could maybe, MAYBE fit 10 people in there. Their menu is simple: waffles, waffles with toppings, fries, and the machine gun sandwich. Rex and I split a machine gun. (When they make this sandwich they cover it with fries.) It. Was. Delicious. We are already talking about how we need to go back so we can try their waffles, but we still have to get a sandwich when we return. We'd be fools not to.

Our pictures don't do this sandwich justice, so you really need to watch this clip from Man vs. Food. I must warn you, though: it might make you drool.

5 comments:

  1. This sandwich is the very definition of delicious. I wonder if one day we can go to all of the places that Adam has been. Maybe we should just stick with the temples ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, first stop when we get to SLC, Bruge's Waffles and Frites. One more incentive to come in April.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok My family has been going there for forever. With where my family served missions this place hits home to them so every time we are down there we go. I am so glad you guys loved it. It's worth the small building, the wait time, and the statue that pees on you if you sit in the right place. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of Bruge's, and everyone says it's great! I went to Bruges on my Paris study abroad, so I'd love to try out the waffles and frites here! Your sandwich looks good too though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friends and I happened on that waffle place because it was right next to this awesome sandwich shop we found called Carlucci's. Go there for lunch, and then to the waffle place for dessert. The waffles there are sooooooo good. Make sure you get the cream that they make fresh. I have wanted to also try their sandwich.

    Another place my friends and I found (can you tell we're kinda foodies) is called Gourmandise. If you want a slap-your-tongue-into-ecstasy pastry, this is the place to go. They have every pastry you could ever think of. And then some. Give yourself 20 mins just to decide on which 3 to choose. And you will choose at least 3. Annnnnd, they have drool worthy breakfast. I'm not a huge oatmeal fan, but I ordered their creme brulee oatmeal, with fresh berries and creme, and I wanted to have my spirit leave right then because my life had been fulfilled.

    Just so you know, we've also checked out a gourmet place called Les Madeleines, which I think is good, but not worth the hype.

    Also next to Carlucci's and the waffle place is an Italian deli/market. They have bonafide Italian sandwiches, as well as imported stuff from Europe (like pasta, sauces, cheese, but it's hard to see that with all the delectable European chocolate).

    Looks like you'll be making some more trips to SLC.

    ReplyDelete