Well, it didn't take me long to return to California. Alice and I are visiting my family for a week. I knew I wanted to make at least one trip home this summer, and we chose to do it now because Alice needed to get her 8 week shots. She did fabulously! Pretty sure I cried more than she did.
Anyway, I wanted to do a post about my experience traveling with an infant for the first time. I had a super early flight leaving Dallas, so I got to my gate just in time to get in line to board. Going through security with a baby was a nightmare and the airport employees were less than helpful.
As I boarded the plane, I felt so overwhelmed, I thought I might break down at any moment. A kind woman behind me helped me with my stroller and carried my diaper bag on board for me.
We got on the plane and we were held up in the first class section while people in front of us were settling into their seats. I noticed on my ticket that I was assigned a middle seat towards the back of the plane. I looked at the first class passengers enviously and even thought, "How awesome would it be if someone offered me their first class seat?"
Just then a man in first class said to me, "Are you traveling alone?" I nodded, afraid that if I spoke I would start to cry. He said, "Would you like my seat?" I was past the point of propriety, so instead of saying, "Oh, I don't know...Are you sure?" I just said, "Yes. Yes please."
The woman holding my diaper bag said, "That is so nice! I might cry!" I did cry. I could not believe the kindness of this stranger. And his generosity did not end there.
When I got off the plane in L.A. the man approached me and asked how the flight went. We chatted for a bit and when I told him my connecting flight wasn't for another 3 hours he said, "Well, follow me. I can get you into the Admiral's Club."
If you don't know what the Admiral's Club is, it's a big comfy lounge you can relax in while you wait for your flight. They have complimentary WiFi, snacks, and drinks, plus super nice bathrooms! Members of the club can get guests in for free.
When we got to the lounge, the man, whose name I found out is Jim Case, showed me around and then said, "Well, I have to go get some work done. It was nice meeting you. Good luck with everything!" I could not thank him enough. He acted like his actions were no big deal and that anyone else would have done the same thing. His compassion was an answer to many prayers and nothing short of a miracle.
I did not get Jim Case's contact information and I'm certain I will never see that man again. I wish there was something I could do to repay him, but I know that's not why he did what he did. To express my gratitude, I have vowed to myself to pay it forward. I don't have the resources to help someone the way he helped me, but I am committed to keeping my eyes open and looking out for opportunities to serve others. You never know what kind of an impact you can have on someone else.
Thank you, Jim Case. I will never forget what you did for my baby and me.
I'm glad you survived, Molly! And what a generous guy!
ReplyDeleteTravelling with an infant is a mixed bag, I think. We've travelled several times since our little M was born. Sometimes security is great: they let you skip all the lines and are fantastic. Likewise, sometimes the airlines personnel are great. But other times, it's like they hate all the children in the whole world :)
Hooray for Jim Case! A modern hero. He definitely was an answer to our many prayers that things would go well for you on the trip there. I hope your trip back is swift and easy so I can hug you and play with our baby again.
ReplyDeleteI hope I can make as much of an impact on someone as Jim made on you, and in turn on me.