Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Modern Day Mr. Collins

Ok, so this post looks long, but this really is the shortened version of the story. Plus, it's entertaining, so please read on…

One of my ex boyfriends just spent the weekend at my house. We dated in Provo at the beginning of the year. He broke up with me in February. He moved to Salt Lake to go to U of U and I moved home in the summer. In August he called me up, wanting to get back together. At first I was opposed, but I was impressed by his persistence. (I have since come to realize that rather than being admirable, persistence is just obnoxious.)

I decided it wouldn't hurt to let him call every now and then while I dated guys here. The calls became lengthier and more frequent with each week. We decided that we should plan on seeing each other in order to really determine if we wanted to pursue anything.

The weeks leading up to his visit did not go well. I was feeling more and more that I did not want it to go anywhere with him. I was upfront with my feelings and warned him that he might want to try to get his plane ticket refunded. I knew that he would not be getting what he expected when he got out here. Overall I guess I'm grateful he came because his visit confirmed my decision that I do not want to pursue a relationship with him.

The second day he was here I told him I just wanted to be friends. We hadn't kissed at this point, and I told him that he shouldn't try because I was already decided. Apparently he thought I said, "Try harder! Oh please try harder!" I will have to speak more clearly in the future.

The guy must like rejection because I blocked his advances at least three times. It's like he wasn't hearing me. He was perplexed by my resistance and attributed it to my fear of being hurt. He thought that I truly did want him to kiss me, but that I was holding back from these feelings in order to protect myself. I did not know how else to say it to get it through to him. He attempted to kiss me up until the time I dropped him off at the airport. Disrespectful jerk.

Ah, Elizabeth Bennett, you and I are now kindred spirits. (P.S. It was hard to find this scene on Youtube, hence the weird intro.)

8 comments:

  1. i'm pretty certain you meant to post this video

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWx7AF8B0R8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly! I hope you don't mind me reading your blog, I've been enjoying it. This post cracks me up, it made me think of my Mr. Collins who happened to actually be named Collin. Good for you for not giving in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it. looks like we'll have tons to talk about when i get there!!! :) boy have i got some stories for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Molly! I'm glad you survived. What a story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well now you know! Although I'm pretty sure that you knew before!!

    Nice blog by the way, very festive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hillarious Molly! I am a big Pride and Prejudice fan and it sounds like you certainly had a Mr. Collins on your hands. Funny entry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Some guys are a bit clueless. I'm glad you made it through that.

    ReplyDelete