Friday, July 16, 2010

Not-So-Cute Stories

I don't know what it is, but work has really gone downhill lately. The kids at the daycare I work at are out of control and the staff are hardly better. There are not enough words in the English language to describe my frustrations. This past week I've had some particularly rude encounters with the kids. I voiced my concerns to the assistant director of the daycare center. That didn't really get me anywhere, except in trouble.

Boy A slammed a door in Boy B's face.
Me: "Well, that was rude."
Boy A: "I know. What do you care?"

Student: "Miss Molly's mean."
Me: "I'm standing right here."
Student: "Oh... I, um, said Miss Paula."

Two girls were wrestling while Teacher A watched without putting a stop to it. Teacher B approached the girls.
Teacher B: "You girls need to stop wrestling!"
One of the girls: "There's a teacher right here! She can handle it!"
Teacher B: "Well, I'm handling it."
Teacher A: ...
That's right, nothing. She said nothing. By the way, the thing the girls were fighting over was Teacher A's flip flop.

Assistant Director: "I talked to all the teachers about your concerns, but some things came up that I wanted to talk to you about. Did you call Zach a jerk?"
Me: "Um, I think I said, 'Stop acting like a jerk.'"
Assistant Director: "You CANNOT say things like that."
Me: "OK..."

One of the boys pushed a girl off the couch.
Me (to the boy): "Get off the couch."
Boy: "No."
Me: "Get off the couch. Now."
Boy: "No."

The head teacher addressed the group to tell them if they misbehave in the next 2 weeks they won't be getting the bounce house and slip-n-slide that are scheduled to come. While she was talking to them, one of the boys would not be quiet.
Head Teacher: "James, please be quiet."
Seconds later...
Head Teacher: "James, is that you, again?"
...
Head Teacher: "James, if you don't stop, you are going on the list of kids that won't participate with the bounce house."
...
Head Teacher: "James, if I have to tell you one more time...!"

Give me a break.

Why do I seem to have the worst luck with jobs? Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to be making money, but seriously? It's a good thing I only have 3 weeks left of work before I get married and move to Utah. Otherwise I would quit.

9 comments:

  1. Some of those children sound not very nice, and the adults not much better. I'm sorry you have to deal with that, but at least the end is near! Another option could be to explore the art of voodoo. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How have you not pummeled some of those "jerks" already? By the way, jerk is a lot better than some of the words you could say about kids that knowingly disrespect adults and talk back. What are these parents doing at home?

    P.S. If my child ever speaks to you or someone else like this please smack 'em up. I won't care if you call them a jerk or not. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gooooosh. I guess you are doomed to a difficult life there, with caring about discipline and the children's well being. Just take the easy way out and let them all yell and kick and wrestle. It's always better not to care.

    Oh I got so frustrated reading this! I hope the next 3 weeks fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness that during the next 3 weeks you have 3 days off! Too bad corporal punishment isn't allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely get stuck with some terrible situations at work. I'm just glad a trip to Applebee's every now and again helps some. Maybe next it should be seeing Inception. Just throwing that out there. If you like it you can take, if you don't, throw it right back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way to verify my last comment the secret word was "obally" which is clearly a cross between Molly and Obama. Don't know why such a cross would be necessary, but someone ought to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry, it'll all be over soon! And then you can find another cool job in Utah that will then go downhill, and the terrible cycle of doom will continue. Except this time, you'll be married, so it hopefully won't be so bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your pain, Molly! When I was student teaching at the BYU preschool, a kid threw a pencil at me, screamed at the top of his lungs that he hated me, and yelled for me to come wipe his bum. He was the preschool director's son to boot...
    P.S. I loved your announcement! I was very fond of everything being together instead of a bunch of cards floating around in the envelope. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so you have enough comments already...but yeah, slap the brats next time. you get yelled at for calling them a jerk, might as well do something worse!

    ReplyDelete