Alice turned 8 months old today. Isn't it weird how babies don't stay the same age for very long? Like, if you have a 10 year old kid you don't tell people he is 10.75 years old. He gets to be 10 years old for an entire year. Babies' ages change about every 4 weeks. 2 weeks if you go by half months. Guess it's just a reminder to us that Alice is growing and changing very quickly and we need to enjoy every moment with her.
Sometimes it makes me sad. Not because I want her to stay a baby forever. It is so neat to watch her grow and learn. I'm just afraid that I won't remember what she was like at this stage. For instance, sometimes I feel like I can't remember what she was like when she was a newborn. Right now it feels like she has been 8 months old forever. That she has been shaking her head back and forth since she was born. That she has always had that smile with those 6 teeth. That there was never a time she didn't copy her daddy's funny faces. That she has taken my glasses right off my face and stuck them in her mouth every day of her life. What if when she's a year old I won't remember what she was like today?
But then, I suppose it doesn't really matter how things were when she was a newborn. She's not a newborn anymore. And when she's a year old it won't really matter what was going on today. Of course I won't forget everything, and I do enough journaling and photo-taking that I will always be able to look back and reminisce. But, what's important is where she's at today. Every today will be the most important day for her and I will cherish each and every today we have together.

I love our growing baby, but it sometimes makes me sad to think of how she used to fit in her rumbly chair, or things like that. But what is so much fun is watching her start to do so many new things like shaking her head and growling and stealing our glasses. The growth is so exciting that I don't miss the memories so badly.
ReplyDeleteShe's awesome! No matter what age!
ReplyDeleteWhat!? She's only 8 months old? It seems like the three of you have been a family forever.
ReplyDelete