So I FINALLY got a job! I was starting to think that I was destined to stay at home all day everyday for forever. It feels like it's been years since my interview. I got hired as a preschool teacher at KinderCare and I am so excited to get started!
I went in early Friday morning for picture day. When I got there, my boss wasn't there, but there were plenty of employees milling around. I don't know if you know, but at daycares they usually have some sort of security on their entrances so creepos don't get in. At KinderCare there are 2 sets of doors, the second set is locked and you can't get in unless someone opens the door for you. I stood there for a good 5 minutes while people walked past me (they are glass doors, so I know they knew I was there) and no one let me in. Finally, a girl around my age opened the door.
Girl 1: "May I help you?"
Me: "Yeah, I work here. Today is my first day."'
Girl 1: "Oh."
I walked past her into the facility.
Me: "Hey, is there a way to get in those doors without having to wait for someone to open them?"
Girl 1: "Well, yeah, um...there's a code, and um, well I can't...I mean, I'm not...well, I can't give that to you."
Me: Holy crap, calm down. "OK, I was just wondering."
When I went to take my picture, the photographer asked me what class I taught.
Me: "You know, I'm not sure. Today is my first day. I know I am teaching the 3-year-olds."
"3-year-olds" was not on her list.
Photog: "Is that the 'Discovery Preschool' class?"
Me: "I don't know."
Photog: "Are you working with Melanie?"
Me: "I. Don't. Know."
I was able to go home after pictures and come back later to start training. When I got there, my boss had me sit in the staff room reading training manuals and told me she'd come in periodically to check on me. She didn't.
I was supposed to work from 10am to 4pm. At about 3:57pm I went looking for my boss. I asked her if I could go, but she told me to stay for a few minutes and she'd come talk to me about what I'd read (for 6 hours). At 5pm another coworker came in the staff room to clock out. I asked if she had seen our boss and she went to go look for her. The coworker came back and said, "Yeah, she forgot about you. She said she's sorry and that you can go."
OK...
I can't wait until I'm all trained and I just have to go there to teach cute 3-year-olds and not deal so much with the staff. :\
jeeze. what a bunch of swiggs... but i'm glad that you have a job and are living the working married life.. :) we can be friends b/c both your and my husband aren't working and the women are.. it's kinda funny.. but yeah. love you. love the blog. talk to you soon. :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the job! Don't you love how every job you have there's always at least one person who reminds you of a character from the 'Office'?
ReplyDeleteYou have a lot more patience than I do. I would have left. Probably. Maybe. So great you have a job!
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of that time when I blog-stalked you for like...a week...and then you wrote about "Jooba Juice."
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you made it through the craziness and now you're my sugar momma ;)
Well, sheesh louise! I can't wait until your training is done, too! Good luck, Molly!
ReplyDelete