Saturday, October 2, 2010

Blasphemy is the new black

I know you've all been wondering, when is Rex going to post something on here? Now's the time.
I would say I've been so busy that I couldn't post, but in reality I've just been waiting for something worth posting about. The thing is, Molly writes such great posts with pictures and clever stories, that it's a daunting task to write something on what used to be just her blog.

I declare, the time has come. This morning I was reviewing my syllabi and writing up the list of this coming week's homework that I call "This Week in the Life of Rex."
As I opened my bag to pull out a notebook I saw an advertisement that I was handed while studying outside the testing center. It's made of thick paper, roughly 5X6, and covered in blasphemy.

Let me explain something. I don't prescribe to the particular brand of Mormonism that allows for taking the Lord's name in vain, much less marketing it. The card I was handed is an advertisement for a new clothing company called (and I shudder even writing it on here) "Heavenly Father Strong" or "HFS."

If you aren't shocked yet, wait for the tag line at the top. It reads, "It's a life style - Time to show it!"

Molly and I took a moment to discuss the significance of that line. We believe that true followers of God do not show their devotion through outward symbols like clothing, but through their actions towards others. If I love God, I don't have to put it on my t-shirt, I have to love my neighbor, feed the poor, visit the afflicted.

I would post a link to the website for this company so you can see illustrations of what I'm referring to, but I find their product to be toxic and will not encourage anyone to look at it.

But don't take my word for it. Here's a little excerpt from a book you might have heard of. It's called the Old Testament:
"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain."


I don't want you all to think I'm writing a post of condemnation. I just want to discourage this kind of deception and encourage us all to show our life style as followers of Christ through how we live our lives, not what brands we wear.

2 comments:

  1. I was going to ask you to get me one of those shirts for my birthday. I'm rethinking that idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping for one for Christmas, oh wait, I don't wear that kind of stuff. I don't even own a WWJD bracelet. It seems a little more like "born again" culture rather than Morman culture.

    ReplyDelete