Sunday, October 17, 2010

Movie Review

Well folks, it's time for a rousing movie review. We recently saw two excellent films whose merits I will lay before you in the following paragraphs: (Heads up, they're not in chronological order because Blogger makes it hard to upload photos correctly)

Friday night Molly and I went to the International Cinema on campus for a free foreign film. We knew very little about the movie except that it was to be in French and deal with a woman who was just released from prison. The film was charming, but not in the traditional sense. It was mostly dark and thought-provoking with just enough sweetness to keep us wanting more. In the end we were left very satisfied.
Here's a side note for anyone planning on attending the International Cinema in the future: Not everyone is ready for foreign films or deep concepts. Some people just want a quick laugh. We were shocked by the uproar of laughter at even the slightest hint of humor. It's like the majority of the audience was so uncomfortable with the subject matter that they needed to release the tension, pop the bubble.

On to the next one!


We ended up ordering this movie from Netflix because we really wanted to see it. Going in I had no expectations and really no concept of the plot. The movie opens with an odd indie song that sets the right tone. It was quirky and very entertaining. Acting, writing, and cinematography were all top-notch. The story had us on the edge of our seats, wanting to cry out in anguish as the main character suffered. 98% of it was depressing, but the other 2% set everything right and the overall effect was terrific.


In summation, we thoroughly enjoyed our cinematic experiences this weekend.

- Rex

2 comments:

  1. I lurve 500 Days, minus the language. And I'm so glad you guys appreciate BYU's International Cinema. Seriously, it's such a blessing we have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know a foreign film is good when you forget you're reading subtitles. And, I hope "500 Days of Autumn" proves to be a more positive experience for Tom. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete