Those are all things Mallory and I got when we went to the American Fork hospital to enjoy the free event called "Girls' Night Out." Getting pampered was way fun, but the best thing they had going on happened before we hit up all those booths.
First we listened to Stephanie Nielson speak. If you don't know who she is, check out her blog, NieNie Dialogues, or learn about her story by watching this Mormon Message. She is an LDS woman who survived a near-fatal plane crush 3 years ago. Over 80% of her body was burned and she will probably have surgeries for the rest of her life.
Stephanie spoke about hope and turning trials into blessings. She is an incredible woman whom I admire greatly. She spoke about being grateful for the plane crash and how it's changed her life. She has used the tragic accident as an opportunity to share the Gospel with the world.
We all have our challenges and our rough days, but it's what we do as a result that shapes who we are. One of the things Stephanie said that stuck out to me was that she had to own this trial of hers. How empowering! Let's own our trials and show 'em who's boss! Don't let them keep you down; turn them into something positive!
After listening to Stephanie and seeing how happy a person can be even after suffering as she did, it made me realize I don't ever really have an excuse to complain. I have a loving family, a wonderful husband, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. What more could a girl want?
Free things + the speaker + us and the Bachelor = a great night. It was so incredible to hear her story and recognize that we are so blessed and we all have trials. She really is such an inspiration. And look at us! I look wasted, but I was happy.
ReplyDeleteMen aren't allowed to have this kind of event. It's got to be tailgating and football for us, I guess. I'm glad you guys had fun! I'm also glad you got to see your new hero ;) and hear her speak. Perspective is something we all could use a little more of.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could have been there too! It sounds like you two had a great evening.
ReplyDelete